Monday, March 19, 2012

Towing Icebergs to Africa?


By: Mark Brown
Published: August 10, 2011
Link

Picture
Here is a simulation of what George Mougin’s idea would look like. Small tugs boat will hold a “skirt” around the iceberg and gently pull the iceberg towards the Canary Islands. The iceberg will provide clean water for Africa. 
Summary:
As most of us probably know, clean drinking water isn’t always available to the people living in Arica. The water in Africa is usually contaminated and is also limited, but French engineer, George Mougin, has a solution that might possibly work. George Mougin has created a simulation showing how you can use two tug boats to pull an iceberg from Antarctica to Africa. The iceberg then melts into fresh drinking water. Though many people find his plan crazy, he believes that his plan could work.  With the availability of newer technology, Mougin was able to create his plan that took him three decades to design.  Now he can answer many questions, like how much of the iceberg would melt before it reached the Canary Islands and how long the whole process would take. Overall the whole trip would take about 141 day and about 38% of the iceberg would melt. Though it might be tough to accomplish, George Mougin hopes to make clean water easily available to many people in Africa.

Opinion/Reflection
I know that limited drinking water in Africa is a becoming huge problem and I am glad to hear that people are trying to come up with a solution.  Although it seems like a crazy idea, it could have the potential to really help people in Africa.  I think his plan could work and I think it’s worth trying.  We reached a point that people are now finding ways to bring clean, sanitary water to Africa.  I drink water every day, and I can’t imagine what it would be like to not have that resource easily available.  Water fountains, facets, and even bottled water, are some of the many ways in which I get my water. Not being able to have it easily available would be bad for my health and those around me.  I hope that his plan will inspire other ideas that would help the people in Africa.

Questions
1)      This invention has the potential to cost a lot of money. Do you think that it is worth the potential cost? Why or why not?
2)      Is unsanitary water in Africa becoming a big problem?
3)      What are some other ways in which clean water can become more available in Africa?
4)      How do you think the people in Africa are responding to this simulation?
5)      What are some factors that make towing an iceberg to Africa a bad idea?

5 comments:

  1. Opinion/Reflection
    Honestly, this article caught my attention but the idea of this happening just sounds kind of bizare. Because, I don't really undersand how 2 little tugboats could pull an iceberg that big. I know it is possible though. I think that they could come up with a much better plan though that could maybe save some time and that will allow less of the iceberg to melt away. It seems impossible for any of that to even happen though but I really loved this article because it was pretty mind-blowing. I didn't know that some people would go to extreme measures like this just to get fresh water to Africa, the cause is amazing!!! I couldn't imagine not having fresh water either and I definitely would want to help others who don't have that fresh water advantage like me. I know that even sometimes going somewhere on vacation where the water just tastes differently bothers me, I feel really bad that people have to experience not having any fresh water. I hope this plan can actually work and does a lot of good for the people in Africa.

    Answer to question #4:
    I think the people in Africa are responding to this simulation in a good way because this means fresh water for them. It could be the start of a new beginning for them. However, if this plan does not work there could be extreme disappointment which could only make matters worse considering if they believed this could of worked and then it didn't would disappoint me for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summary:
    When George Mougin and Paul-Emile Victor met three decades ago, they came up with the brilliant plan to tie a rope around an iceberg located in Antarctica and drag it to Africa, where it would become fresh drinkable water. It was difficult to view this idea as realistic until George found a tool to help him build his idea in a 3D model. After his small success, all the pieces fell into place with data and tools, and he figured out his "idea" could actually be possible!The iceberg can be towed several thousand kilometers to the Canary Islands, in just 41 days, by the use of a tugboat. However,the iceberg would lose thirty eight percent of mass during the trip. There have been "talks" of getting this plan into action in 2012-2013!
    Opinion/Reflection:
    I can relate this to my life because I drink one whole water bottle a day! If we could figure out more ways to get more useable water, we wouldn't be worried about running out of water for the growing human population. I honestly think just George's idea is just brilliant and incredible, I mean, I know I could never come up with something like that! It really is such an out-of-the-box plan that could actually work, I am looking forward to hopefully finding a news report or article on the success of this plan later this (or next) year! Wow, how bizzare would it be if his idea turned into reality!
    Expand:
    This awesome website goes into further depth on whether using icebergs for drinking water would be possible-or safe. The article says that icebergs do not conatin salt so it may actually work! Read more here:http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water_quality/quality1/13-08-icebergs-for-drinking-water.htm
    Anwser Question:
    5) This may be a bad idea because if you add up all the money spent on making this plan happen, they may actually lose money. Cash spent on ropes, tugboats, workers and more is very expensive, and by the time the iceberg reaches Africa and the water is sold, well they may just end up losing money in the end.
    Ask Questions:
    1) If you lived in Africa, would you be pleased with plan? Why or why not?
    2) Can you think of anywhere else in the world where the idea of using icebergs as drinking water could as be possible?
    3) If you are aware of the poverty in Africa, why may this idea benefit Africans? Do you think it could harm them in any way?

    Thanks for reading, go drink some water! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summary:
    In an effort to provide Africa with clean drinking water, Mougin thought of a plan. He thought that by tugging an icerberg from Antartica to Africa. His idea from years ago was put on hold until 2009 when he found technology to study and test it. Though expensive and seemingly crazy, this plan could be put into action by next year.
    Opinion: As great as this idea sounds on paper or in a simulation, I do not think it is worth the time and the money. With over half the mass being lost on the trip, I do not think it will be as much of a help that people think. Also, I think we may become reliant on this method if it works, and that could seriously disrupt the enviornment in Antartica. This idea may seem great, but I do not like it. I do find it intersting and innovative, and I hope it sparks other ideas to help the world with water.

    Expansion:
    Casey's question 5: I think many weather factors could cause issues at sea for such a large iceberg. Also, boat travels could be affected, like cargo ships or cruise lines.
    Lenny's question 1: If I lived in Africa, of course I would be happy with the plan! It means a possibility of safer water in abundance. However, I would be skeptical. I would not want to get my hopes up in case something went wrong, which is a distinct possibility.

    Another question to consider: How would Antartica be affected? Do the animlas rely on these iceberg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opinion/Reflection
    The thought of going that far for other people is very pleasing. I think it could actually work but the thing is only one third of that ice will be water. I know this because that when I was little I collected snow and when I brought it inside my house two thirds were gone. It will help out a lot though and it will bring joy to Africa. I hope that they will be able to bring much water to Africa. I wonder though won't it hurt the ecosystem in Antarctica because the polar ice caps are melting. I really hope though that people in Africa get they're water.

    Expansion
    Question 5: I think that weather could play a big factor for this because if there is a storm then the two tug boats won't be able to get through. There is also a big factor in money. They would have to pay for the gas for the tug boats, the equipment for getting the iceberg, and lastly what would happen if one of the tug boats just broke down while pulling the iceberg.
    Joe's Question: like I said in my reflection can pulling out icebergs be harmful to Antarctica’s ecosystem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this fascinating and I hope they attempt it. I think it might be easier to have two ships with a line around the iceberg and perhaps an ice breaker ship behind adapted with a "bumper" for lack of better term to gently push and direct the 'berg. More of a directed natural migration perhaps to New Zealand where it could be shaved and hauled in more manageable increments with less melt loss.
    Hawaii has a desalination process that actually creates electricity also, thus if employed in a factory setting; the iceberg could be shaved by the superheated water of the desalination process and the plant be run at least partially on the power created.
    A 2008 study estimated that Anarctica alone loses 1.6 trillion tons of ice a year due to "calving" but regains it back through annual rainfall. It seems the environmental impact would be minimal because of the natural processes already at work.
    Weather, water currents, and wind would definitely be variables that the ships would contend with but there are many vessels there currently that are familiar with all these already.
    Very interesting!!! I hope to find more to read on this subject!

    ReplyDelete