Monday, April 30, 2012

Africa Sows Seeds of a Green Revolution


By Alec RussellPublished December 27, 2011Link http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9806e84a-f655-11e0-86dc-00144feab49a.html#axzz1tYShONQv

Summary            It’s no surprise that agriculture in Africa is limited because of the harsh weather patterns and poverty that has struck the nation. But for Africans there is still hope that they will be able to provide their own agriculture with a green revolution. A green revolution is when efforts are made to bring thriving agriculture to an area or country. The hope of the green revolution is to provide food for Africans that is grown in Africa. Today most of the food in Africa is imported from other countries.  Not only will African’s benefit from their own food, but money wouldn’t need to be spent importing food. This isn’t the first green revolution to take place. A previous green revolution took place in Asia and it proved to be successful. Though the green revolution was successful once before, there are many challenges that will need be overcome, and there is not telling what the results of the green revolution in Africa will be.



Opinion/Reflection            I never heard about a green revolution before, and I was surprised to learn what it was all about. At first, I thought the green revolution would be a worldwide effort to recycle and go green, but it wasn’t. I think the green revolution could be successful, but I don’t know if it will be worth all that time and money. Conditions in Africa are too harsh for agriculture, but they are also harsh in Asia and that revolution had positive results. I like the idea of providing Africans with their own food and I think this is a problem that could easily be solved. Having to pay for food to be imported is also a factor in Africa’s poverty. The green revolution impacts me because without it, food would need to be imported, and that means that some farms are providing for more than one country. I definitely think the green revolution is worth a try!



Questions1.      What are some ways to make the land in Africa suitable for farming?
2.      Should there be more awareness around the green revolution? Why or why not?
3.      What would happen if the green revolution was not successful?
4.      How does the green revolution impact other parts of the world?


The green revolution would bring agriculture to Africa. This effort has already started in some parts . This is a picture of  a farm that already started growing crops.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Opinion/Reflection:
    Wow! You learn something new every day! Before reading this interesting article, I had no idea what a 'green revolution' was. I think what Africans are doing is very inspiring. Here, where I live, we can grow our own foods and yes, we do import some foods but we can grow our own crops. Food is important in everyone's life, including my own. Africa has its troubling times, with poverty and difficulty with agriculture. However, I believe they will be successful, once again. I really do hope the outcome of Africa's green revolution is successful so they can become healthy and stable.
    Answer:
    3: If the green revolution was not successful, then Africa would have to figure out another way to provide themselves with good agriculture. They could possibly depend just on their imports, and possibly make the larger sea ports to make it easier to import such goods. However, this may be very costly ($)for the country.
    New question:
    1. If you were an African, how would you feel about the green revolution?
    2. Now, if you were a farmer, how would you feel about this situation? (remember: you are providing your own crops for other countries).
    3. How will Africa benefit from the green revolution? Will they be affected in any negative way? If yes, how?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflection: When I first saw that Africans were trying to grow their own food and start their own agricultural growth, I was surprised. When I think of Africa, I think of dry, rough land, not rich in minerals or nutrients that makes for prosperous farming. However, what else can they do? If they are not happy with importing goods, then of course they need to try and grow it themselves. If I were an African, I would be skeptical and not hopeful, but they have the right attitude. I had never heard of the term "green revolution" before, and I would have thought it pertained to becoming more earth friendly. If other countries could do it so could Africa. However, I think that the UN should help to fund a matter like this, because so many in poverty could get on track. This whole issue is becoming a big deal, and I hope it gets Africa on the way to becoming more developed.
    Casey's 2: I think this issue should get a lot of publicity. People underestimate the importance of this. When you hear Africa, you think of issues such as "AIDS" or just poverty in general. But, this issue is causing poverty and I think this movement could help. It also needs a lot of funding, so the more public the better.

    I also found a related article that I found interesting.
    http://www.thecitizen.co.tz/editorial-analysis/47-columnists/17404-time-to-find-solutions-to-africas-farming-woes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opinion/Reflection
    It made me really happy that we're trying to make a huge effort in supporting Africa with the Green Revolution! They deserve their own food and should not have to spend all the money they get on importing food. If the Green Revolution was successful before then I think there is a good possibility that it can be successful again. Even if it isn't we could try so many different things to help Africa. The Green Revolution could be tried again over and over and over again until we get some kind of results. All they need to do is stay positive and have hope that one day they will have their own food. If this were me, and I was facing this situation, I know I would not be that strong because it would be extremely hard not having my own food. Just going a morning without food is hard for me!

    Answer to question # 2
    Yes, there should be a lot of awareness about the Green Revolution. This is because it is for such a great cause and I think if there is so much support for this, then maybe there would be a much more likely chance for success. I didn't even know about the Green Revolution until now, now that I do, it makes me want to help them. I think it could make everyone else feel this way too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reflection/Opinion
    I always thought that Africa never had the ability or the time to grow other plants that were edible. I think that it is great that now other countries do not have to care for them. The faster the progress the faster they can grow more into a 1st world country. I think that it will be nice that they will have one less problem to worry about. The green revolution is great all other 3rd world countries who have this problem should do this. They could teach there children how to farm and they could continue the cycle. In the end it will benefit not only Africa but other contries that are trying to support Africa.

    Question answering #2
    I think it impacts other countries because they are wasting so much money and land to try to support Africa and that country. It would be wise to help Africa with its Green Revolution.

    ReplyDelete