Wednesday, May 2, 2012

13 year old genius little boy

Summary    http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=16548
What does a 13 year old boy have to do with our lithosphere. Well it just so happens to be that this 13 year old has found a better way of using solar energy. It all starts out with one December afternoon when this boy was looking up at the trees. He was wondering what was making the trees be able to absorb so much sunlight. Then the boy had found out that some certain places use solar energy to power buildings. That is when the boy starting ideas with the trees and the solar panels and did an experiment. He found out if you use the  Fibonnacci sequence then you could use so much energy. With this experiment he found out that by using this "tree" you could get 20% more energy than the flat plane solar panels used so far. It could also get 2 1/2 more hours of energy than the regular solar panels. It was also found out that the "tree" could collect 50% more in the winter time than the flat panels.

Reflection/ Opinion
I thought that this article was very interesting for a 13 year found a better way than a bunch of scientist who had alot more time than he did. I also found it interesting that no one has ever thought of this until now. If I knew I could just stick some solar panels to a tree. Then I would have just ditched school and make some profit on that. I think that scientist should go with this idea and companies should switch to this greener, and more energy collective energy source. I also find it funny that trees were all around us and that we knew that trees collect energy but we never thought of it that way.

Questions
1. Do you think that more people should be like this boy and help find ways to improve our current alternative energy sources? Why or Why not?
2. Do you think that it will be bad for our environment if we have all those "trees" around us? Why or Why not?
3. Do you think if this was how we get solar energy then will more people use these "trees"? Explain?

4 comments:

  1. Opionion/Reflection
    That's crazy that a 13 year old boy thought of this! Something like this you would think that scientists would think of because it is so simple, but no? A teenage boy! I didn't know that trees collected that much energy, whether that makes me sound kinda dumb or not. I used to think flat plane solar panels collected so much more enery, but I guess I was wrong. It seems like it's always the younger kids who can think of something so genius yet so simple! I love how environmental friendly this idea is!

    Question # 1
    Yes I do think more people should be like this boy. I mean you don't find many people in this world who really care about our environment, and here is a 13 year old boy who constructed this amazing idea! We should all pitch in to finding alternative energy sources. It would be as simple as what this boy did, just thinking, and brainstorming and then telling others about what you thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opinion/Reflection:
    What an interesting and incredible article! I know when I was 13, I certaintly was not creating scientific experiments on how to use trees to collect energy. This boy is a genius and such an inspiration. We look at nature everyday, like when I walk around my neighborhood, and never really think about how useful trees can be. Well, this little boy used trees and the Fibonnacci sequence and was extremely successful. This story is absolutely mind blowing!

    Expand:
    I found this article, that unfortunetly, explains the author's opinion of why this little boy's experiment/method will not work. The article states that it is all "non-sense". Find out why here:
    http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/why-13-year-olds-solar-power-8216breakthrough-wont-work/8261

    Answer to question:
    #3: Yes, possibly if this method is successful, then of course people will be out purchasing these trees to recieve solar energy. If it is effective, then it will be efficient as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opinion/Reflection
    I was completely amazed reading this article. I love this story and the idea of "tree" solar panels. If his finding prove to be true, I think this is a great way to switch from fossil fuels to alternative energy sources. The environmental impact from using the solar energy would be less than it is now and it is important to start thinking about other energy resources. My only concern is the price to make the "trees" might more than it is now but if your going to be getting more energy, it is defiantly worth the extra money. This impacts me because it provides a way to produce more energy without using more fossil fuels which means less pollution and environmental. Plus it uses less fossil fuels and would help if we ever ran out of fossil fuels. It looks like little things can make a big difference!

    3 Questions:

    1) Would the price of the "trees" be more expensive? If so, would the trees be worth the extra cost?

    2) How big would these "trees" have to be in order to provide energy for a house? Would they be the size of actual trees?

    3) When designing a new products, should people be be more open to taking inspiration from nature? Why or why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opinion/Reflection:
    The first thing that I thought when I read this artcile aside from being amazed at this young boy, was that I was so excited to finally see what this sequesnce could be used for in real life! When we learned about the Fibonnacci Sequence in math, I didn't know it had other uses other than to solve certain equations from a textbook. This boy was able to think logically while he was just enjoying nature. It also makes me think, if this kid can make such a large discovery without any funding or research team, then why aren't our scientists making breakthrough discoveries like this? Also, some alternatives can be unsightly, like wind turbines, but trees are beautiful and natural looking. This was also a good article because of it's relevance in class, it was perfect and interesting! This boy deserves some kind of award if he does not already have one.

    Joe's #2: Of course I do not think that these trees would cause harm to the enviornment, because they are helping get rid of the dependancy on polluting fossil fuels. I am curious though to see if the making and "planting" of these trees on people's properties could ruin the soil or wildlife around it.

    My own question is...could animals use these trees as homes? If not, wouldn't this cause an issue?

    ReplyDelete