Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Why Aren’t G.M.O. Foods Labeled?

Check out the article, "Why Aren’t G.M.O. Foods Labeled?" written by Mark Bittman on February 15th, 2011 here: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/why-arent-g-m-o-foods-labeled/?ref=geneticallymodifiedfood.

This image is almost a play on words of GMO's, they show a picture of corn, along with the GMO's that are placed inside the food. The article pushes for foods like this to be labeled, allowing consumers to be aware of the GMO's that are within the food source.

Summary: GMO's, or Genetically Modified Organisms, are genitically engineered food that is sold on store shelves, and are currently lacking a label. A reason why the F.D.A will not include a label on food with GMO's is because they don't want their product to seem "different," even those they do contain potenial harm to consumer's health. The article implies that food containing more than .9% GMO's must be labeled. Genitically Engineered foods are argued to grow faster, decrease stress on land and be more profitable for farmers, but, they are real dangers to humans and can provoke allergic reactions. Its not shocking that the biotech industry spent over half a billion dollars on G.M.O. lobbyists in the last decade! The majority of Americans think that GMO's are unsafe, and 87% of them want them to be labeled. GMO's are a health hazard, and must be labeled, on behalf of our health.

Opinion/Reflection: First of all, I've only breifly ever heard about GMO's. I knew that they were bad for our health, and not good in general. I had no idea where they came from or what G.E, gentically engineered foods, were either. After reading this article, I also agree that products containing GMO's should be labeled, so that we are aware of what we are eating. The majority of our food, and including the food I've already eaten, contain GMO's. It is really crazy how these genetically engineered foods may be easier for farmers, and allow them to make more money, but in the end it just comes back around and is not healthy for the consumers. All in all, I fully agree that GMO's should be labeled, for my health and for everyone all over the world!

Questions:
1. Do you feel as if products with GMO's in them should be labeled? Why or why not?
2. The article mentioned "cross-breeding," how do you feel about this topic?
3. What is one method to persuade the F.D.A to add labels to products containing GMO's?
4. Do organic foods contain GMO's? If yes, what is the law limit of the amount of GMO's they must contain?






4 comments:

  1. Opinion/Reflection
    GMO's should be labeled. Everyone has the right to know what is in their food, what they're eating and whether it's the right choice or not for their health. I've learned about GMO's before in health class and I had learned about people that have gotten very sick because of this. I don't know why they wouldn't be labeled. If the FDA is afraid of people thinking this food is "different" well it is. People eat it everyday, it's very common. With them not labeling the GMO's it makes me think that their trying to hide something, and I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels that way.

    Question #4
    From what I know, foods that are labeled, "100% organic" do not contain GMO's. They are straight from the ground with no addivities or GMO's. However, foods that do contain GMO's of over .9% must be labeled.

    I also found this really interesting picture of a tomato being genetically modified. Here's the link! http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=active&biw=1024&bih=612&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=xhJmmoIBHsI9SM:&imgrefurl=https://www.toplinefoods.com/gmo/&docid=XMWEmUHC-wNjnM&imgurl=https://www.toplinefoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gmo_food.jpg&w=468&h=280&ei=9YaqT-fUJIb30gHD76WYBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=688&vpy=247&dur=734&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=214&ty=89&sig=113463373358232462238&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=191&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:105

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of GMOs until reading this article. My family and I eat mostly organic food, and I was taken back when within they very first few sentances, it said that organic products were allowed to contain 5%. That seems like a lot to me, and to think that normal products can contain up to 9% is very scary. From an economic standpoint, I can understand why farmers would think to try this, but you would think that after hearing that consumers were being harmed, they would think of a new way to save. Also, more people may want to buy organic things after hearing about this, but they are more expensive as well. This just proves that the FDA does not care, and it is so frustrating. You can't trust anyone, huh? These should be labeled now for our safety and health. This reminds me of finding the contaminant level of water in class, and the representative in the documentary from the FDA who denied the bottled water problems. It makes me so angry!

    I was curious about which common foods contained GMOs, so I found a list online. I could not believe some of the brands I used that contained them...Pilsbury, Eggo, Quaker...
    http://opposingdigits.com/forums/post-62.html

    3) I think that the FDA should be punished and sued personally. That may seem extreme but they are not doing anything to prevent health hazzards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opinion/Reflection
    I knew that modified food was common, but I don't think I ever understood the problems that can arise from GMO's. First of it isn't right to now label GMO's and I think this is a problem that needs to be solved. Food companies shouldn't even be allowed to sell the product before they label any modified food products. It is not fair that the buyers are purchasing food that does not meet the FDA requirements. Second is that if the food has any health risks it should not be allowed to be sold on shelves. This is a health concern that needs to be taken care off. People should not have to worry about their food causing health hazards. This impacts me because these foods are eaten by a majority of Americans and if these foods are going to impact my health, I would like them to be labeled. I wish the FDA would do something to prevent foods with a .9% GMO from being sold to consumers without a label.

    Expand
    I went online and found this article that explains the health risk GMO's cause. I was surprised to find that there are some pretty serious health risks.
    http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11361.cfm

    Question
    1)I think products with GMO's should be labeled. I don't think people are completely aware of the health risk GMO's are causing. Everyone has certain food they can and can't eat and those who are trying to eat better should be warned that their food contains GMO's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Response/Opinion
    I knew that our food was being messed with but knowing that some of the GMO's could be dangerous worries me. I think that they should be labeled so that people can know what they are putting in our bodies before we eat them. I don't want to eat something poisonous and die because of it. I also think that this could help with our world hunger problem for if you can grow food faster then you can get it for a lower price. If GMO did not harm peoples health then yes it would be a wonderful thing to have. I think that if we find some way to grow food drastically then we could feed more hungry people out in the world.
    Expand
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jan/13/gm-chickens-bird-flu-influenza In that URL it has an article about GM chickens that are immune to bird flu.
    Question
    4)No organic foods do not have any GMO's.

    ReplyDelete